What is Achilles Tendonitis?
- Achilles tendonitis is inflammation of the Achilles tendon, usually due to overuse. Symptoms include:
- Pain and stiffness along the Achilles tendon in the morning
- Pain along the tendon or back of the heel that worsens with activity
- Severe pain the day after exercising
- Thickening of the tendon
- Swelling that is present all the time and gets worse throughout the day with activity
What Can Your Podiatrist Do To Help?
- A range of treatments exists to reduce strain on the tendon. These include:
- Icing can reduce inflammation during the acute phase
- A heel lift can be given to reduce strain on the tendon
- Orthotics and supportive footwear redistribute pressure and decrease strain on the tendon
- Cam (Moon) Boot to minimize movement and give the tendon time to heal in more severe cases
- Exercises and stretches when possible to gradually strengthen and lengthen the tendon and reduce the likelihood of recurrence
- Surgery may be required and can be referred for in very severe cases